Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa

You must fulfil the following criteria in order to apply for this type of visa:

  • Residence outside the EEA or Switzerland
  • You have obtained a certificate of sponsorship in the form of a reference number
  • You have appropriate funds to support yourself on your bank account for ninety days before you apply (with some exceptions)
  • Your knowledge of English is at a certain level

You do not need to submit proof of funds if you hold visa as a missionary, minister of religion, or a member of a religious order.


You would need a valid passport and travel identification, tuberculosis test result (if you are coming from a certain country where the test is mandatory), bank statements showing funds and evidence of English language knowledge.

Visa extension

You can extend your visa before it expires, however you need to include all family members you have brought to the UK with you, in the application.

If you still meet the visa eligibility criteria, you can extend your stay in the UK for up to three years or the time stated on the certificate of sponsorship in addition to fourteen days. In total, you can remain in the UK up to six years.

If you wish to secure another job in the UK in a different field, you would need to obtain another Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa.

How can we help you?

Free Initial Assessment

We offer a no obligation, free initial consultation over the phone, where you can briefly discuss your matter with expert immigration lawyers.

Book a free initial assessment Contact Us